Sunday, October 25, 2009

"Transoformers 2" and "Where the Wild Things Are"

Transformers 2
What a mess. I'm pretty sure the script was written by a 14-year-old boy. It wasn't 100% bad. It had a lot of action, special effects were well done (although I'm getting mighty sick of this CGI crap), and I laughed at maybe a couple jokes. Having read every I-can't-believe-they-put-that-in-the-movie (dog humping, mom on pot, racist robots [did these guys have a purpose; did I miss an introduction?]), I was prepared for everything that came my way which really eased the pain. I say, out of 4 stars, I rank it 1 and a half stars.

Where the Wild Things Are
Very well done. Spike Jonze creates an amazing world, very unique akin to his tastes. The movie, in a word, is precocious, much like an 11 year old's imagination. An 11-year-old dealing with feelings of rage. I certainly had my bouts at that age, and this movie encapsulates those feelings in a very raw sort of way. It's not fanciful yet there is still something very magical about it. And it's rather melancholy. Will kids get it? Hard to say. It's like the opening quote of "The Breakfast Club". Kids already know what it's like cuz they're living it. This is for those who wish to revisit that time without rose colored glasses. I can't say I loved the movie, but I can say I greatly admire it far more than I liked it (if that makes sense). It looks gorgeous, has a gritty indie feel, and strays far away from any cliche (which might be its greatest credit). I loved the trailer but did not love the movie. However, that doesn't detract from the movie. It just means I'll watch the trailer 50 more times before I see the movie again. Very glad I got to see it. There are def people who won't "get it" (it's anything but mainstream), but it's absolutely worth it for those who will. I say, out of 4 stars, it ranks, at its lowest, 2 and a half stars (it meanders quite a bit halfway through), and at its highest, 4 stars (it's simply beautiful and joyous to meander in such a world).

No comments: