Sunday, February 28, 2010

My Favorite Movies of 2009

This list will be surprising for many. Most notably for putting "Avatar" and "Funny People" so high and for putting "The Hurt Locker", "Inglourious Basterds", "Moon" and (especially) "Up" too low. But this list isn't YOUR list. It's MY list. I could easily make a list that you could agree with. However, this is my PERSONAL favorite movies of 2009. Biggest factors for ranking are a combination of how much fun and enjoyment I had watching a movie and how much I'd like to return to that movie. So let the controversy begin:

These movies get an "A":

1. Avatar
2. (500) Days of Summer
3. I Love You, Man
4. Star Trek
5. Zombieland
6. Funny People
7. District 9
8. Taken
9. Fantastic Mr. Fox
10. Julie & Julia
11. Inglourious Basterds
12. The Hangover
13. Watchmen (note: this movie has grown on me over time)

B's:

14. Monsters Vs. Aliens
15. Michael Jackson: This Is It!
16. Princess & the Frog
17. Precious
18. Humpday
19. Coraline
20. The Hurt Locker
21. Moon
22. Up In the Air
23. X-Men Origins: Wolverine
24. Big Fan

C's:

25. Anvil! The Story of Anvil
26. Where the Wild Things Are
27. State of Play
28. Push
29. Capitalism: A Love Story
30. Paranormal Activity (note: avoids getting an F for the final scene)

D's:

31. Up (note: talking dogs flying bi-planes just loses me)
32. It Might Get Loud
33. Disney's A Christmas Carol
34. Knowing

F's
35. Bruno
36. Transformers 2

So... have you calmed down from my low ranking of "Up" yet? Haha. Hm... 36 movies. That may be a new record for me. The three movies I started watching but abandoned (out of sheer not-in-the-mood-ness) are "Ponyo", "Drag Me To Hell", and "Terminator: Salvation".

Here are the movies I haven't seen yet that I plan on seeing (in order of how much I want to see them):
New Moon (+RiffTrax)
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs
Food, Inc.
Harry Potter and Whichever One Came Out This Year
Whip It
The Informant!
Adventureland
Sherlock Holmes
Jennifer's Body
Mike Judge's Extract
In the Loop
White Ribbon
A Single Man
An Education
A Serious Man
Bright Star
Away We Go
Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
Men Who Stare At Goats

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I think I, for the most part, agree with how you graded these movies (Granted, I am talking about the movies I have seen, which is only 11). I do disagree with your placement of Up, The Hangover, and The Watchmen (I have not read the graphic novel though); however, I agree with everything else (especially the grade for Transformers 2...definately deserves Razzie for Worst Picture Award).