Monday, February 27, 2012

All of what I've seen in 2011

I would love to give an in-depth review of all the movies I saw last year. Unfortunately, I'm still in the middle of a move and have much to do, so the list below will have to suffice. I have ranked them according to both how much I enjoyed watching these movies and how much I want to see them again. Here are all 22 movies I saw from 2011 (so far):

A:
1. Moneyball - Superb underdog story. Jonah Hill sells it.
2. Bridesmaids - Kristen Wiig at her finest.
3. The Artist - One of the most delightful movies I've seen in years.
4. Thor - Probably more of a guilty pleasure. I really had a lot of fun.
5. Tree of Life - The Waco, TX stuff with Brad Pitt is genius.
6. Super 8 - Loved every minute of this 80s homage but pretty forgettable.

B:
7. The Muppets - Fun from the beginning to end but not a lot of substance.
8. Life In A Day - Really captures the heart of a human on the planet.
9. Captain America: The First Avenger - Lots of spectacle and action.
10. X-Men: First Class - A lot of fun but too many stories are trying to be told.
11. Source Code - Flawed but really fun sci-fi film.
12. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 - Very well done but I'm not a big HP fan.

C:
13. Rise of the Planet of the Apes - Monkey movie with some fun action.
14. Transformers 3: Dark of the Moon - Greatest spectacle of the year with little else.
15. Green Lantern - Character development is very flawed. A sequel will be better.
16. Conan O'Brien Can't Stop - Insightful and funny documentary on a workaholic-egomaniac with a heart of gold.
17. Paul - Deserves more recognition for the talent involved but pretty much fizzles out.

D:
18. Cowboys & Aliens - Yep. That's exactly what that was.
19. Sucker Punch - Best visuals of the year. So many flaws elsewhere.
20. Twilight: Breaking Dawn Part 1 - No comment.
21. Rango - Something about Gore Verbinski's style rubs me the wrong way.
22. Water For Elephants - Chick flick that wasn't horrible.

I still have MANY more movies that I WILL see. Most notable titles include "Drive", "50/50", "The Descendants", "Hugo", "Young Adult", "Sherlock Holmes 2", "Paradise Lost 3", "A Separation", "The Help", and "Midnight In Paris".

No comments: