Monday, July 30, 2012

Which First? Book, Movie, or Remake?

I've finally cracked the code. When faced with a movie based on a book, which do you consume first? The Answer: movie. ALWAYS the movie. Why? Because it is inferior. But what if there's a remake as well? Tonight, I've finally cracked the code. If you have to take one thing from this article let it be this: For the safest journey of maximum enjoyment, start with the most inferior and work your way up. I still want to watch "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo", but until tonight, I haven't known whether to start with the book, the original Swedish version, or David Fincher's American remake. Remakes are generally inferior, so I should start with that. It was David Fincher's amazingly deft directing style that has allowed me to believe it may be superior than the foreign version. But the safest way (i.e. maximizing the least disappointment) is starting with the remake. THEN I should watch the original. Then, if I have time, I will read the book. If I put one of these steps out of order, the superior will be the one to always fall back on. For a book, your imagination's cinematographer, director, and actors will always be better than your average blockbuster (typically speaking), and you are given the time to explore details the movie would never have the time for. That's why you save the book for last. Otherwise, you can join the echoing cliche of the multitudes: "Oh, the book was SO much better."

No comments: